Click the link below to visit the online community of the River Valley

Sunday, October 12, 2008

LTE - In response to TRR's letter from R Ortez

I debated for a long time in voicing my opinion on the controversy in Rumford between some of the citizens, a few selectman, a publication and the Fire and Police Department. With the last letter written by R Ortez in the Rumford Reporter I could no longer remain silent. I grew up in the Rumford area, actually Peru if you want specifics, and am disappointed to see the direction the area is headed in. My father was very involved in the community and surrounding communities including Rumford. I have fond memories of the small towns in Maine. From the close communities, to knowing your neighbors, and enjoying life a small town offers. When I graduated I moved from these small towns in Maine to a similar small town in Alaska. This is where I found my calling as a 911 dispatcher and love for criminal justice. Most think of dispatching as a job that saves lives. I would like to say right now that saving lives is not what the job is about. Actually saving lives is far and few between and if that were the sole purpose of the job I would be sadly disappointed. A job in law enforcement is more about helping people. I go to work everyday knowing that every call I take I am helping someone. Whether it is a simple question about where a road is located to giving CPR instructions over the phone, helping people is why I love this profession. I can also say honestly that most others in law enforcement are in the profession for the same reason.

I take great offense to the letter that was written by R. Ortez. I also take great offense to the attitude and approach the Rumford Reporter has had towards this profession. I do understand their frustration with budget issues and their right to question policies and procedures. However, their blatant attack on the Rumford Police Department and the Rumford Fire Department is completely uncalled for. I ask that R. Ortez and the editors of the Rumford Reporter walk a day in my shoes or anyone in law enforcement. I have worked in towns similar if not smaller than the size of Rumford and can tell you crime and tragedy can happen here too. I can tell you stories (which are now all public information and have been reported in the newspaper) of the 13 year old girl who witnessed her mother shoot her significant other, point the gun at the 13 year old, and then turn the gun on herself in a town with less than 5,000 residents. I can talk about my co worker who worked the night her close friend and law enforcement officer was conducting a routine traffic stop and was fatally shot in a town of 6,000 residents. I can talk about an incident in that same town where an officer was shot by an upset husband while he responded to a domestic violence call. I can also talk about the male who blew just over a .08 after killing his 5 year old daughter in motor vehicle accident. So R. Ortez comment that “We don't give a damn about your mangled license plate stops, your unregistered or uninspected vehicle stops, your .08 OUI stops, your headlight, taillight, or license plate light out stops, your no seat belt wearing stops” I can see where he has never educated himself about law enforcement. If I read his comment that “If you read the crimes (referring to the crime bulletin), they are police driven.” I can see he actually believes that the officer was responsible for making a person drink and get behind the wheel. I can see where he believes a police officer was responsible for a husband beating his wife from the confines of their home. I can also see from his comment “now you are hell bent on destroying any and all economic development efforts in Rumford by scaring people away with your outlandish claims” that he believes the outlandish claims, the charges against persons, are all fabricated. That he believes most things with law enforcement are fabricated. I would like to speak with R. Ortez, and the editors of the Rumford Reporter and have them speak with the family members of the fallen officers in Maine and let him repeat his comment “You Maine cops are clueless and are raping the taxpayer, which is about the only crime we have here.” I’d also like them to meet the countless victims of various crimes and have them repeat his comment about those officers who helped the victims find justice that “The only reason your crime is high is because you go looking for it so you can justify your bloated budget.”

Honestly I do have an even better idea. I call on R. Ortez and the editors of the Rumford Reporter to look farther than their front door step. I ask if they care about the community they take steps to educate themselves on the profession. Be open minded and see both sides before making a judgment.

Sincerely,

Erin Cox

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent!!!