Click the link below to visit the online community of the River Valley

Monday, May 26, 2008

What kind of comments are OK?

The Rumford Free Press recently received this comment. Overall it’s a great post with some good points but I still felt the need to delete it. Read on.

The Open Doar blog allowed slanderous comments such as accusations that XX was
doing things illegal in his business, and XX was being abusive to family
members. Why do people have to make up such stories? I am surprised that
they
didn't say XX was intimate with woodland creatures. This is a small
town, and
the rumor mill runs hard and fast. There are some who believe
these rumors.
Another related issue is the fact that somebody was calling
people's employers
and those who regulate business to try and get people
fired and/or investigated
for false reasons. When town opinions cause worse
politics that the national
elections, it is time to reassess the rationale.
There are some serious
apologies due to certain people. As for TRR, I think
you are right, it has gone
way over the edge since [edited] gave it up. [edited]
are Bush Republicans and
they will attack anyone who doesn't follow their
views. Look at how [edited]
trashed [edited] on the Doar blog. They used to be on the same
side, but
[edited] didn't like what [edited] was saying, so he trashed him. I feel that
[edited] is a big wind, but he has very few
supporters. He has driven away most
of the CCFR members, and even some of
the selectmen are talking with him less
often. I believe his time has ended.



I know I said I wasn’t going to edit posts but this one is a great example of what can go wrong. This was a great post but it went just a bit over the edge at the end. How does calling someone a “big wind” not take us down the same path of contention that the Open Doar and TRR went down.

When you post to a website, you aren’t having a private conversation with your friends. It’s a public statement, not much different than if you stood up at a town meeting and said it. Would you really attack someone personally at a town meeting? I hope not. That isn’t the behavior I hope to see in town. Not at a public meeting, the Open Doar, the TRR or on this web site.

I know that there are a lot of shades of gray about how to move forward here. Honestly, I’m trying to figure it out myself. Thank you to all who have posted here thus far and for everyone’s efforts to try to keep this website out of the town sewers. Together we can change things.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

From what I read,what was stated was not an attack but an expression of opinion. Many of the slams on the other blogs are not expressed as opinions. Some of what you edited out was actual fact, but since you don't agree with it, you call it an attack. Shame on you for your judgemental attitude. You need to learn to be more pen minded and less "negative".

Anonymous said...

By the way, I would call him a big wind in any public forum, including town meeting. It is not an attack, it is a perception of his communication style. Freedom of speech allows me to say such things as long as I don't make statements as fact that are untrue. I can say "I think the President is psychologically unstable", but I cannot say "the president is psychologically unstable" unless I can prove it. I do believe he is, but I can't prove it, so I can't say it as fact.

Anonymous said...

By the way, Reverend Wright is correct, the policies of the US DID cause the attacks of 911 and I agree that the politicians who supported the policies should be damned to hell. This is a valid statement that can be proved in a court of law.

Rumford Free Press said...

First off, who says I don’t agree with you?

You really pointed out something to me that has been obvious from the beginning. The Rumford Free Press isn’t all about free speech. It’s about responsible free speech.

The Open Doar was all about Free Speech. We saw where that brought us. TRR is all about pushing their agenda. They won’t post anything that doesn’t fit with their agenda. This site is in the middle. It’s about responsible free speech.

99% of people that live in town might agree that XX is a bag of wind but what good does it do to call him that? Is it constructive or destructive? Name calling and put downs escalated on the Open Doar to what was an intolerable level for some. Where is the line?

As I said in my post, I know there are shades of gray in what is acceptable behavior for this site. I’m still trying to figure it out. I’m hoping for a site here that builds social capital instead of creating more damage to our town. I’m open to the debate on how to do this.

Thanks for your comments

RFP