Click the link below to visit the online community of the River Valley

Friday, May 23, 2008

What kind of town do you want to live in?

We all know that the population of town has been shrinking since about 1980. What people in town may not be as aware of is that once residents move here the length of stay for residents is above state average (City-Data, 2008). I attribute that mostly to the wonderful sense of community that exists among most residents here. Once you become part of this community, it’s hard to give it up. Walking down the street or going to the store can be a pleasant experience as residents stop to chat. A drive through town elicits a friendly wave from almost every other car. When residents face difficult times in their lives, town people often rally around them, throwing benefit suppers and helping to make sure that their needs are met. One visitor to the area remarked that he seldom sees behavior like this where he lives. We are all truly fortunate to live in such a community.

The question on the mind for many residents is why would anyone move to Rumford? Better yet, why would a business move to Rumford? If YOU were looking to move into a town, what qualities would you be looking for?

The town of Rumford is located in a beautiful part of the state, MSAD#43 has a reputation for providing quality education, and the town has supported Black Mountain Ski Area and town recreation through the Parks Commission and the Greater Rumford Community Center. We have an effective and responsive police force that works hard to try to keep crime down. We have a professional and highly trained fire department. Taxes are lower than state average and although much of the housing is aging, it is affordable. These strengths help make our town a positive place to live and raise children. The taxes in Rumford have been going down for the past few years but let’s face it, that trend was not going to last forever.

So how much can be cut from department budgets without significantly affecting town services? I honestly don’t know the answer to that question. I would guess the most qualified person to answer that question is the Town Manager and Department Heads. Some individuals in town may have strong opinions about that but they are just that, opinions. Our Town Officials answer to many people and have many eyes looking at their budget. It’s all public information. They also have to answer many of the questions asked by residents. It just seems difficult for them to pad their budgets too much or pull one over on us.

The thinking that needs to go into what the level of service our town should provide is multifaceted. It seems to be a balancing act between what is necessary, what we can afford, what is desirable and what will continue to make this town a place you would want to move into, perhaps with your business, if you were looking for a place to settle down.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would appear that few have much to say if they cannot attack others.

Anonymous said...

I want to live in a town where people work together to improve their community without bickering over petty differences. I want to live in a town where mistakes can be made without causing major battles, but where people are held accountable for their words and actions. I want to live in a town where the town leaders are also the movers and shakers, providing not only vision, but action in the development of our community.

Rumford Free Press said...

Nice post.

C said...

I would want to live in a town that offered safety and security. A place that I wouldn't have to worry if I locked my car or if my child was safe walking home from school. I would want good schools and easily accessible medical care. I would want my child to have as many sports and cultural activities available as possible. I would want to be able to shop without traveling too far and without paying inflated prices for that convenience. I would want a few restaurants, a good library, health club and perhaps even a movie theater. I would want to see plenty of grass and trees and that the residents showed pride for their community. High speed internet would be a must!

Anonymous said...

Gee C, you dons't ask for much. You just want the selectmen to turn back time to the 1970s. Unfortunately, our owrld has changed, and much of what you want will never happen. We cannot prevent attacks and abuse and we cannot control prices. I think we have a great library and the GRCC has served us well for decades. We are not a city and cannot afford to provide city level services.

flat broke said...

Anonymous, I am sure c realizes he/she will not see ALL those wants. It is a wish list. I know that I would like to see all of those that c listed. It could be looked at as goals though. I'm sure I will never see all of them met in MY lifetime, but maybe for my children?

C said...

I'm aware our town will never have all these attributes but it does already have many of them. It is simply a "wish list". My idea of a few things that would make me personally choose one community over another as a place to live.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the original post. It's time for the board of directors to take on a more public role in this debate. Although it maybe too little too late.
It will be very disappointing if the interlocal agreement fails as a result of this iniative.