Click the link below to visit the online community of the River Valley

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Med-Care Issue

Submitted by Kevin Saisi

Fellow Citizens of the River Valley,At the Rumford Town Meeting I asked Steve Brown, President of Med-Care to identify where their agreement provided them the authority to buy land and build a facility. I pointed out that the Powers section only provided authority to purchase Ambulances, Equipment, Supplies and Materials. The contract also says that Med-Care has the authority granted under a certain statute within the limitations of the agreement. I believed it followed logically that any powers granted in the statute were limited by the Powers provisions.

It should be noted that Med-Care knew thet the question would likely be raised by me. An email raising the question was sent out to various people in town and was forwarded to Board member Jim Pulsifer earlier that day. This is why I was astounded that they did not have the answer to my question. After we left the Town Meeting Mr. Brown, Mr. Pulsifer and myself had a brief discussion in the hall. At that time they identified that the authority was implicit, as they were charged with forming and maintaining the ambulance service. In discussing the issue with Town Solicitor Tom Carey tonight, I was informed that he interpreted the contract as providing the authority. He offered me the opportunity to visit his office so that he could explain it to me with the lawbook present. I respect the opinion of Mr. Carey and am willing to admit when I have made a mistake. His years of experience and education far exceed my limited education in the legal system.

After the Selectman's meeting tonight, I was informed that some Med-Care staff were upset with me for asking the question. Given the lack of compliance to the rules demonstrated by our town leaders in the past two years, I believe it is important to question when things aren't clear. Just because a board is made up of honorable people doesn't mean that they will always function in an honorable manner. Sometimes the ends justifies the means in the minds of some leaders. I am glad to see that this is not the case with Med-Care. I am also glad thet the resolution to the issue that does not result in the destruction of our flagship inter-local organization. I respect their dedication and professioanlism in the way they perform their duties.

As for my questions, I can asure you that I will continue to inquire when I am unsure of something. I will also continue to point out when something is wrong. It is by full participation by the public that our government remains honest and ethical.

Sincerely,
Kevin N. Saisi

1 comment:

C said...

I can understand where you are coming from. I tend to raise questions that frustrate people (such as the debate on Open Doar regarding building codes). I'm never being purposefully disagreeable but I have the need to know WHY, especially when the issue defies my logic or is interpreted differently by me. It's hard to help work through and solve problems without a clear understanding of them. Some seem to think that the explanation "It can't be done" is sufficient and have little patience for those who demand to know why. They tend to forget that sometimes a totally different view of an issue can be a step toward resolving it.