Click the link below to visit the online community of the River Valley

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Who is write in candidate Richard O. White for Rumford Selectman?

Most of the tax payers of Rumford would know him as Rick White. You may have seen him roaming the side lines at many of the local sporting events for Mountain Valley High School or teaching at Mountain Valley Middle School until this year. He coaches football, basketball, and lacrosse and was a long time member of the Rumford Parks Commission until this past year.

Richard is married and is currently teaching Health at Molly Ockett Middle School in Fryeburg. He graduated from Rumford High School and went on to play college football before going to work in the mill. Richard also served in the US Army in Military Intelligence . He returned to school and finished his Bachelor of Science degree in Community Health Education.


Why do you want to be a Selectman for the Town of Rumford?

I have been approached by a number of people in the local community to run and I felt that this is another way to serve the fine people of Rumford. I'd like to give back to the community that gave me so much when I was growing up on Penobscot Street. My oldest children have been a great help in getting the word out about me running. They have made all the signs and placed them all over town. This community is very important to me and I would like to see it become what it once was. The population trend in town is going down and we need to reverse this trend by bringing in new businesses. We also need to find ways to keep the younger population here in town. Along with these Richard sees the fighting within the community on different affairs as a hindrance to the rebirth of Rumford. We all need to work together on the issues for what is best for all of us in Rumford. We need to stop special interest groups and work for the good of the majority of tax payers in town. Difference of opinions on the issues is good and constructive when done in the right manner. We have gotten enough black eyes. We have a lot of great things going on in town. Let's build off these and continue to rebuild this town together. We need to work on the fractured relationships and rebuild the trust in this community.

How do we resolve the issues facing Rumford?

The first thing we need to do as selectmen is rebuild the trust that the great people of Rumford once had in their Selectmen. We can achieve this by giving them their voice back. We need to listen to the tax payers and provide them with the best options and information that is out there. I will be their voice in the board meetings and work to bring new business ventures to Rumford. As a board and a community we can rebuild the town one business at a time. We also should recognize the businesses that have been the main stays of this community and Thank them. We should feature a new business each month on the town website and in the press. We should promote what we have and what we could have.

In closing he would like to see the fine people of Rumford write him in as a selectman. When going to the polls on Tuesday if you would like to vote for Rick you will have to write in Richard O. White. If you want to see a change in the attitude around town then write him in.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

With what I read here, he would be better as a member of the Economic Development Committee that is currently forming.

Anonymous said...

After reading this I feel that he would make a very fine selectman. I have seen the signs around town and was wondering who he was. Thank you RFP for writing something about him. I'll vote for him as a write in. Once again Thank you free press for keeping the town of Rumford up to date in a positive manner. It is greatly appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Is it possible to add Richard to the blog voting that is being done.I would like to change my vote.

Rumford Free Press said...

I tried to add him but couldn't. Sorry

Anonymous said...

The first thing I would like to say is that I mean no disrespect to Mr. White!
Mr. White I encourage you to not run for the Rumford Selectman position. I know this is a little late with this request. If you would have taken out papers and gone thru the proper procedures to become a selectman, then you would of have had my immediate vote! Hands down! I respect you for your accomplishments and want to thank you for your community dedication.
However I am extremely disappointed with your “write in” approach to town politics. This last minute “quest” will severely disrupt our election. You are jeopardizing the hope for a new and productive board and have only added to the drama which is destroying community.
This selfishness will take votes away from Rob and Greg. I do not want you to be known as the Ross Perot of Rumford, but I believe as many due that this is the direction where you’re headed. I beg you to reconsider your actions. Take down your signs and withdraw from the race. I know this is tuff to swallow, but it is the right thing to do. Next year follow the proper channels and run. I will support you, but on this hastily decided decision, I can not.
Please reconsider your options.

Respectfully

**** ********

Anonymous said...

Jason Thompson is on the ballot, but he is doing the same thing. His being in the race will split votes for Vashaw and Belanger. A two-on-two race can be very exciting, but whan the spoilers come on board, it can be detrimental. Yes, Jason had his papers first, but Jeremy is a much more electible candidate, and Jason knew Jeremy was running.

Anonymous said...

I bet Jason will become Rumford's youngest Selectman EVER.

Dick Hemmond